Spanking kids — do people do that anymore, especially in today’s politically correct culture? (This is the second post in a series on disciplining children. Read the first post.)
CNN Living’s article “Is It Okay to Spank?” reported in 2011 that most parents spank though “a distinguished list of experts has denounced spanking as ineffective, even dangerous.”
The Spanking Kids Statistics
- 94% of 3- and 4-year-olds have been spanked at least once during the past year, according to one study.
- 74% of moms say spanking is acceptable for kids ages 1 to 3, another study reports.
- 61% of parents support spanking as a “regular form of punishment” for young children, according to a different study.
Various factors increase the likelihood of parents spanking kids: children in the South are spanked the most, African-American mothers spank their children more than other ethnic groups, and parents more fundamentalist in their religious beliefs spank more than those who are less so. Read the entire article.
God Supports Spanking Kids
“Distinguished experts” aside, God’s Word advocates spanking.
The rod and reproof give wisdom,
but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother. Proverbs 29:15, ESV
When a child is out of control, chaos ensues. Spanking (or the rod) along with instruction (reproof) benefits the child.
Here is a download on spanking kids that gives guidelines supported with scripture verses.
Guidelines on Spanking Kids
Read a few of the guidelines you find on the download.
- Discipline should be a spiritual encounter with God, not a physical encounter with you. (Proverbs 3:11-12; Hebrews 12:5-11)
- Be sure the child understands and knows that what he did was wrong. He needs to know that the discipline is because he has sinned, not because you are angry. If you are angry, wait until you can administer the discipline in love. (James 1:19, 20)
- After administering the discipline, take him in your arms and let him know you love him, but that God calls on you to discipline him when he disobeys. (Proverbs 19:18)
Please leave a comment and share your thoughts on the download.